Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Myths and Legends

Hello, all.  I hope you are staying warm.  It is very cold here.  I think the older I get the less I like the cold.  I don't know about you but I am ready for spring.
I thought I'd address a few myths or misconceptions that always come up in the conversation about the low carb lifestyle.
One is that so many people think that low carb means no carbs.  Low carb simply means carb restriction.  How much varies.  I try to keep mine under 30 a day, but some days I go a little over.  There are good carbs, which brings me to the next one.
You can't eat vegetables on a low carb diet.  That's so untrue.  Study after study shows that people who eat low carb eat more vegetables than the general population.  In one of my previous blogs, I provided a list of low carb vegetables.  There are many.
Next, is the myth that low carbers don't get enough fiber.  Poppycock.  Fibrous vegetables and fruits are aplenty and since the fiber is undigested it helps lessen the impact of whatever carbs your getting on blood sugar.
What about the one about low carb increases the risk of heart disease.  Recent studies have disproven this over and over.  In fact, they prove that a low carb diet DECREASES the risk.
Low carb diets can damage your kidneys.  There has never, I repeat, never been a study that shows this to be true.
Here's the one I find the most amusing.  The myth that low carb "sucks the calcium from your bones".  Most low carbers eat a lot of protein and protein has been shown to protect the bones.
And now, the one that won't go away.  Dr. Atkins died from his own diet.  Crazy.  He died from head injuries sustained from a fall.  Pictures that show him bigger at the end are actually pictures of him bloated from the fluids and medications given to him after the fall.
Anyway, I hope this helps expose the naysayers.  One more thing.  Have you noticed all of the warnings that they have to give in commercials for medicines lately.  I timed one the other day and the warnings took longer than the actual time they took to tell of the benefits.  I saw one today that was for controlling cholesterol and triglycerides.  If people would only watch what they put in their mouth, most wouldn't even need medications.  In my experience, this has been true.  I'm off all diabetic, triglyceride, and related meds and have been for 3 years. 
Well, that's all I have for today.  Stay well and I hope to see you again tomorrow.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment