Monday, February 15, 2010

Low Carb Food Pyramid

Well, we got a lot of snow last night and this morning, although not as much as much of the country, it was enough for us to get a snow day.  Lisa and I took the day off and my daughter was out of school.  My son, Bradley, only had to work until noon, so we had most of the family home today.  I spent most of the day cleaning in the kitchen, getting ready for our newspaper feature story interview and pictures, which will be taken in the kitchen as Lisa and I prepare a few of our favorite recipes.  I cleaned out the pots and pans cabinet and hand washed every single thing I pulled out.  I also cleaned out and organized our spice cabinet.  I couldn't believe how many things had expired.  After I finished cleaning, the kids and I watched the first two episodes of the old TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  How fun.
So, now to get to the low carb ramble.  I've been talking to several people lately about their ideas of what a low carb pyramid should look like, so I did a little research.  I was very suprised to see "low carb" pyramids that still have grains and sugar in the pyramid.  Granted they were at the top, but come on.  So, I kept looking and finally found a true, low carb pyramid.  I'm not going to put the actual picture in my blog but I will tell you about it.  Lisa is creating her own graphic that we will post on the site soon so be on the look out for that.
At the bottom (what you should eat the most) is Protein.  This is meat, which includes red meat, pork, poultry, and fish.  While I do eat o lot of meat, I eat mostly fish.  Why?  Because that's just what I prefer.
Next up is Eggs and Cheese.  I probably eat more eggs than a lot of people, but not what I would consider a bunch.  I do, however, eat a lot of cheese.  Every day.  I eat it for breakfast in the form of cream cheese, for lunch in the form of Cheddar, Colby, or Swiss, which I slice from a big block that we always have in the fridge.  I also have a few slices throughout the day as part of a snack.  I just love cheese.
Up one more level is Nuts and Fibrous Vegetables.  I have a few small handfuls of nuts (usually peanuts or almonds) almost everyday.  They make a great snack.  And I love fibrous veggies and eat them every day.  I recently gave you a list of low carb veggies so refer to my previous blogs for that info.
Going up!  Next is Fats and Oils.  I get most of my fats from the meats and cheese that I eat.  And we fry everything we fry in olive oil.
Last, and least, is Fibrous Fruits.  I eat mostly berries when it comes to fruit, but I can't pass up a good, crisp, green apple.
That's my pyramid.  I'm not saying that this pyramid is for every body (pun intended), but it is what works for me and according to my research, it works for many others.  Again, I am not a doctor.  I am just one man who has done a lot of research on the low carb life and how it can help make you healthier, help you lose weight, and mostly for me, help you control diabetes.
Lisa will also be talking about the pyramid over the next few days and tomorrow I will continue to speak on it by addressing several myths concerning the low carb lifestyle and the things we eat.
Anyway, I hope this helps and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment