Monday, January 18, 2010

What Do the Experts Say pt.1

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about Type 2 Diabetes, exactly what is diabetes and how it attacks the body, what the American Diabetes Association recommends, what my hero Dr. Mary Vernon recommends and why they differ, and who's right according to the latest reputable studies. A lot of the info I plan to discuss today and in the next several days come from the best and brightest scientific experts on low carb nutrition, Dr. Vernon herself, and last but not least, the ADA. Much of the information was found in an article entitled "A Cure for Diabetes" on the Men's Health website. I will cite the URL at the end of my blog today.

Now, the first thing I want to bring to your attention is a statistic that blew me away. Healthcare costs associated with diabetes added up to $132 billion in 2002! In 2002! I can't imagine what that figure is today. So, diabetes not only ravages your body, but your pocketbook as well. Wouldn't it make sense to get off the meds, head off complications associated with the disease, and lose some weight in the process just by watching what you eat? I haven't spent a penny on diabetes meds, or any of the other meds I had to take for things like high triglycerides, cholesterol, or blood pressure in almost 3 years, so I know it can be done.

Here is where a problem comes up. The ADA, the very organization dedicated to conquering diabetes is rejecting what could be the best thing next to an actual cure, and that is a low carb/high fat diet. Yes, I said high fat. I know that sounds odd to most folks but hear me out. We have developed a skewed view when it comes to fat. A nutrition expert and researcher at the University of Connecticut, Jeff Volek, Ph.D.,R.D., found that replacing carbs with saturated fat BENEFITS cardiaovascular health. He explains, "A low-carbohydrate diet decreases the body's production of saturated fat and increases it's ability to burn the incoming dietary fat." It's also been proven in more than a dozen studies since 2003 that low-carb/high-fat is better at reducing overall heart disease risk than a high-carb/low-fat diet or lifestyle.
I'm just saying, I'd rather watch what I eat and control my diabetes than take a pill or a shot everyday and have diabetes control me.

Sorry if I ramble on this for the next few days, but I am very passionate about it. Some say I preach. Maybe, but I intend to preach on. I know this works and I just want to help as many folks as I can take back control of their lives, even if it's just in this one area. So, please bear with me. I'll be back to my lovable self next week. At least for a while. See ya tomorrow!

Men's Health, "A Cure for Diabetes"
http://www.menshealth.com/men/health/other-diseases-ailments/the-cure-for-diabetes/article/4a935e4e40fae010VgnVCM20000012281eac

No comments:

Post a Comment