Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Exciting News

Well, it was all over the internet yesterday, from news sites to WebMD.  Lisa and I were very excited when we read the conclusions of a Duke University study comparing a low carb diet to a low fat diet along with weight loss drug, Orlistat, otherwise known as Alli.  This was the first time the two methods have been compared head to head.  WebMD's website says the following.
A new study shows that a low-carbohydrate diet was equally good as the weight loss drug orlistat (the active ingredient in Alli and Xenical) at helping overweight and obese people lose weight, but people who followed the low-carb diet also experienced a healthy drop in their blood pressure levels.
How exciting.  Studies, over and over, are finding more benefits of low carb living all the time.  The low carbers lost more weight, too.  Just a pound more but that's still more.
They went on to say that nearly half of the low carb group were able to decrease or discontinue their blood pressure meds compared to 21% of the orlistat group.  And not only did the low carb group's blood pressure levels drop 5.9 points, the orlistat group saw an INCREASE of 1.5 points.  Yes, an increase.
So, if you are overweight and have high blood pressure this study shows you should be able to lose weight and lower your blood pressure, AND, perhaps get off your meds just by living a low carb life.  Think about it.  You not only get healthier, but you save money, too.  What an incentive.
Enough of that for now.  As for me, I'm sticking with my attempt to further restrict my carbs.  I had a low carb breakfast bowl from Hardee's for breakfast, thanks to my buddy Greg who came over this morning.  We both had the breakfast bowls and diet coke.  I had a cup of black coffee later in the morning while I took a break from my honey-do list.  Lunch was a double meat low carb thickburger (with bacon), again from Hardee's.  Thanks, Bradley.
Well, I had better get back to my list.  Lisa will be home soon.  I'm hoping she'll try out another of her new recipes on me tonight.  Last night she made the best salmon patties I have ever eaten.  Check out her recipe.  See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment