Sunday, January 17, 2010

That Pesky Nutrition Facts Label

I'm back! Missed blogging a day or two. Lisa has been redesigning several areas of the site so I let her have it for a while. I am so excited about how many folks have contacted us telling us they love the site and the info we provide and several are beginning to live low carb. We hope to have several success stories to post in the next few months. I mentioned a friend I reconnected with on Facebook and how he has been living low carb for 6 months and has lost 64 lbs. His story coming soon. I want to give a shout out to my fellow blogger, Greg, who started low carbing less than a week ago and has lost over 5 lbs. Way to go Greg! If you have a story and would like for us to post it, please let us know. We'd love to.

Something I'd like to share today has to do with the Nutrition Facts label on food products and a heads up on some of the info. I have noticed that all like-items are not created equal. Some examples. Some breakfast sausage (the ground kind) has more carbs than others, so I can't stress enough not to put anything in your shopping cart until you've compared the labels and numbers. I've found that some lower priced pre-shredded cheeses have more carbs than the block cheeses which you can shred yourself. Compare the numbers on soy milk as well. I use 8th Continent Lite Original. It only has 2 net carbs per 8 oz serving. I've seen some that are not low carb at all. Lisa found a very low carb chocolate flavored soy milk It's called Soy Slender Chocolate Soy Milk. It only has 1 net carb per 8 oz serving and it tastes great. They also have regular soy milk with just 1 net carb. She got it at Wal-Mart. It's not in the refridgerator aisle so look for it on the regular aisles.

Another heads up is watch out for the products that say No Sugar Added. That doesn't always mean low carb. It's just that they didn't add ADDITIONAL sugar.

Before I go, I need to mention another exciting recipe that Lisa made for us this morning. She has come up with a very low carb sausage gravy! I had it over scrambled eggs and toast and it was just as good as conventional gravy. She'll be posting the recipe later today so look for it and please try it.

Well, that's all for today. I'll write more tomorow. Keep checking back. See ya, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment