Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Diabetes Meds and Health Risks

Hi, everybody.  I am running a little late today so I don't have a lot of time to blog, but I just had to share something that I saw on the news today.  It just makes me fuming mad.
The Headline reads,

FDA Approved Diabetes Drug Despite Hints at Cancer Risk

Rat studies suggest Victoza could spur rare thyroid tumor, but experts say effects in humans are unclear

Yes, you read it correctly.  The new diabetes medication, Victoza, could possibly cause cancer.  And the FDA approves it anyway.  Victoza, is among a class of medicines called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists, which is meant to be used along with diet and exercise to control blood sugar by helping the pancreas make more insulin after a person eats.  Did you get that?  Take it after you eat.  Here we go again. Let 'em eat what they want, just make sure they take their pills.
In defending the FDA's stance, FDA spokeswoman Karen Mahoney said, "The relevance of the animal findings to people is unknown.  The type of tumor of concern in people is medullary thyroid cancer, which is a very rare tumor that one cannot expect to be detected in a clinical trial."  So, basically, how it will effect you is unknown and they are okay with that.  Now, I realize that most medications have risks, but what makes me mad is that most mainstream physicians won't even give the low carb diet a chance before they give you a pill or a shot to take every day for the rest of your life.  And, there's more.
Another side effect of this drug is an increased risk of pancreatitis, which is not uncommon in diabetics. Another common side effect is nausea and vomiting, which can also be a sign of pancreatitis, and people taking the drug should be evaluated for that possibility, according to the FDA.  And, the agency is requiring that a medication guide be provided with every prescription filled for Victoza.
Another strange thing about this drug is that it is not meant to replace your diabetes meds, it's meant to be taken WITH your current meds.  I hope your current medication is not Avandia.  I just saw commercial on television that asked if you or a loved one has taken Avandia and had a heart attack or developed cardiac disease, you could be eligible to join a class action lawsuit.  I hadn't heard about this so I Googled 'Avandia lawsuit' and got 166,000 results.  When I searched on 'Avandia side effects, I got 1,110,000 results.  I won't go into all the side effects of these and other diabetes medications, as I said initially, I just don't have the time today, but I hope you get the point.  Why risk it with these meds when controlling your Type 2 Diabetes could, and I stress, could be as simple as changing your lifestyle?  I stress 'could' because I am not a doctor, I am only speaking from my own experience and the research I have done over the last 3 years. 
Well, I'm going to go now, but I'll be back.  See ya!


http://www.usnews.com/health/diet-fitness/diabetes/articles/2010/02/18/fda-approved-diabetes-drug-despite-hints-at-cancer-risk.html

No comments:

Post a Comment