Thursday, March 25, 2010

Crazy Little Thing Called Food

Oh, my, have I been busy lately.  My truck broke down and I've been trying to fix it, but I have to rely on the availability of my friend Greg to get around for parts and such.  Plus, Lisa's car was in the body shop for 2 weeks so she's been sharing my daughter's car, and my son is out of town with his car, so, it's just been a logistical nightmare.  We've been getting ready for a little Spring Break trip to Daytona and since I'm the only one home during the day, I get to do all the laundry and cleaning and vacation prep.  Plus, I had more dental work done this week.  Anyway, enough of that.  I'm back.
I have been reading a lot of articles lately that are supposed to be information for diabetics.  I am appalled at some of the crazy things I'm reading.  I don't understand why some of this info is still out there when so many studies have proven it wrong.  I'll give you some examples.
I found an article about the healthiest snacks for diabetics.  I thought, cool, this ought to be good.  Then, as I read it, I actually got angry.  To begin with, they suggested that diabetics should have snacks that contain 15-20 grams of carbs.  Really?  For a snack?  Some of the suggested snacks were; oranges, graham crackers, low-fat milk, popcorn, English muffins, grapes, peanut butter crackers, bananas, and Cheerios.  As I read why these were good snacks for diabetics, it seemed the writer was more interested in fat and sodium content and not carbs. 
I also found a list of foods that diabetics should avoid, and while I agreed with most of the foods on the list, I didn't agree with some of the 'whys'.  One of the foods was fried chicken, and the reason they gave was that the action of 'frying' added carbs.  What?  Frying does not add carbs.  It's the flour used in the breading that adds the carbs.  Again, frying does NOT add carbs.  Check out Lisa's fried chicken recipes.  She 'breads' with something you may not have thought of using and it's low carb.
Lastly, this bit of advise really got me.  Someone wrote in on what is touted as a diabetic's website, and asked, how many grams of carbs should a diabetic have per day.  The answer floored me.  For women, they suggested 45-60 grams,,,,,,per meal!!!!  3 to 4 meals a day plus snacks with 15 to 20 grams!!!  For men, 60 to 75 grams,,,,again, per meal!!!  Are you kidding me?  When are people going to get off the 'let 'em eat what they want as long as they take the pills or shots' rollercoaster?  None of the medications CURE diabetes.  They just mask the symptoms.  Almost all diabetics get worse and have to increase their meds over the years.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, if your body can't handle sugar, DON'T EAT SUGAR!!
I apologize for the rant, but I just get so frustrated with this.  Please bear with me.  The evidence is out there, and it keeps mounting, so why can't the so-called diabetes experts see it.
I'm going to leave you with that.  We are travelling to Florida tomorrow, but Lisa and I both will do our best to blog.  I'll be thinking of you as I lounge around the pool and walk the beach.  See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment